These are definitely a little bit of work, but they are really good!
10 green onions roots and ends trimmed
Olive oil for coating onions
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Rub a baking sheet with oil.
2. Lightly coat the onions with olive oil, place them on the baking sheet, ans season with salt. Roast for 5 to 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Chop into small dice.
3. Decrease the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Grease the cups of the muffin tins with butter.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, buttermilk, and egg.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
6. In the bowl of the stand mixeer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on high speed until smooth. Continuing to beat on low speed, add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk mixture until smooth. Add the cheese and green onions. Mix just to blend.
7. Use a small ice cream scoop to spoon batter into each cup. Bake on the center rack for 20 minutes until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Let cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes before removing muffins from tin. Left over muffins can be refigerated for 2-3 days and frozen for 2-3 weeks.
Makes 18 regular sized muffins or 36 mini muffins