Low Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins

I made Low Fat Blueberrry Bran Muffins today and they turned out really well. They are very healthy and do not have any oil. Surprisingly, they are really moist and taste really good...especially for being healthy and low fat. I gave the little one a couple of bites tonight and he really loved it. He kept coming back for more, which is always a good sign! The husband liked them as well, which is a good sign coming from someone who slathers all of his food in ranch or cheese-LOL!


INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup white wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners. Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture. Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries. Scoop into muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.


Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 123

Total Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 18mg
Sodium: 244mg
Total Carbs: 28.1g
Dietary Fiber: 4.3g
Protein: 3.7g

4 comments:

GodsWordSays said...

This sounds like a good recipe. I've tried low fat muffin recipes before that were disappointing. I think I'll give this one a try.

If I don't tell my husband things are 'good for you', he'll be more likely to like it- LOL!

Vicki
www.differentworld.us
www.ifeellikeawoman.us

Lyla said...

Yum! I've never thought of putting blueberries in bran muffins - I always think of raisins. Thanks for sharing!

Lyla
http://www.five-oclock-somewhere.com
http://www.chattychica.com

Carrie said...

These sound pretty good, I've heard applesauce is a good substitute for oil. Thx for having me on your blog roll!
Carrie
Anything I Think About
Surgical Nurse Musings
Time Keeps on Flying