Low Fat Burgers and Apple Coleslaw


Low Fat Burgers with Caramelized Onions on Whole Wheat Bun
Apple Coleslaw

The burgers were delicious! The Apple Coleslaw was ok, but could do without the scallions. I will post the recipe anyway for those who may enjoy it. I know I just said it, but the burgers were fabulous! The husband, the toddler, and I loved them! I know I sound like a mad woman raving about a simple burger, but have you ever tried to make a burger with lean beef? It is so difficult to make them come out juicy. These were great!

Low Fat Burger

1Lb Lean Ground Beef
1/2 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
2 Egg Whites
1/2 Cup Low Fat Milk
2 TB Light Soy Sauce


Combine ingredients by hand and form into patties. Grill or broil 4-6 minutes each side. Serves 4.

Caramelized Onions

Heat a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Add a Tbsp of extra virgin oil to the pan. Thinly slice 1 large onion. Put onions in the heated pan and add 1 tsp of sugar. Cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionaly.


Apple Coleslaw
8oz Cabbage (any kind you like)
1 coarsely shredded carrot
1 coarsely shredded apple
1 thinly chopped scallion
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
2 Tbsp Light Mayonaise
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until combined. Refrigerate until right before serving.

5 comments:

Irene said...

That coleslaw sounds delicious. Think I'm going to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

That coleslaw sounds yummy. I'm definitely trying this recipe!

Unknown said...

I just love carmelized onions! That burger looks delish! And I'd also love that coleslaw... but I don't think my family would. Oh, well... that much more for me!!